So I saw this packet of Red Velvet Lamington Kit in Woolies (Woolworth) and I thought since I haven’t done a foodie post in a while I would do one. I have to say I have never really made lamingtons before and I kind of stuffed this up but it still worked out well in the end. I’m going to roughly go through step by step what I did. (Also I’m the worst with reading instructions so things never go to plan too well).
- Preheat the oven 170c and place a baking sheet over the baking tray (I used spray oil at the bottom it makes it stick to the tray better)
- Place 2 eggs, 200ml of buttermilk, 125ml of canola oil into a bowl and whisk until combined on a low-speed. Then sift (I didn’t do this oops) the cake mix into the bowl than whisk on medium speed until combined.
- Pour into tray and bake for 30-25 minutes, test with a skewer in the middle if it comes out clear it is ready to go then let it cool.
- In the mean time you can do the ganache, I burnt mine in the microwave and lesson learnt don’t use microwave and chocolate together but anyway it was meant to be simple microwave the chocolate in the microwave then and 30ml of milk till it is a smooth paste and place it in the fridge till ready to use.
- Heat 80ml milk with milk chocolate chips in microwave (I did this alright compared to the ganache) for a minute or more if it is runny. Stir till smooth and it shouldn’t be thick.
- Cut the lamington into squares, spreading the ganache in the middle and sandwiching them together. Then using a knife or spoon spread the chocolate around it then placing it onto the coconut till fully covered.
In the end the lamingtons tasted fine I think next time I would make it from scratch instead since the mixture didn’t taste like red velvet.